Python is an interpreted programming language created by Guido van Rossum in 1990. Python is fully dynamically typed and uses automatic memory management; it is thus similar to Perl, Ruby, Scheme, Smalltalk, and Tcl. Python is developed as an open source project, managed by the non-profit Python Software Foundation.
- Python 2.4.4 was released on 18 October 2006.
- Python 2.4.2 was released on 28 September 2005.
- Python is strongly typed (i.e. types are enforced);
- dynamically, implicitly typed (i.e. you don't have to declare variables);
- case sensitive (i.e. var and VAR are two different variables); and
- object-oriented (i.e. everything is an object).
Reserved words (native to Python)
and elif global or assert else if pass break except import print class exec in raise continue finally is return def for lambda try del from not while
- Python.org — Official site
- PythonInfo Wiki
- Beginning Python for Bioinformatics
- Learn Python in 10 minutes — from Poromenos's Stuff
- Dive Into Python — Python from novice to pro — download entire eBook.
- Python 101 cheat sheet
- Python HOWTOs
- Perl/Python Phrasebook
- Rosetta Code
- Yet Another Rosetta Code Problem (Perl, Ruby, Python, Haskell, ...)
- Python 2.5 Quick Reference
- Byte of Python
- pydoc.org: Python Documentation Online