From Christoph's Personal Wiki
Diffutils are a GNU collection of diff utilities.
- compares two files and shows the differences, line by line.
- shows the offset and line numbers where two files differ, or cmp can show the characters that differ between the two files.
- shows the differences between three files. Diff3 can be used when two people have made independent changes to a common original; diff3 can produce a merged file that contains both persons' changes and warnings about conflicts.
- can be used to list diff of two files side by side or merge two files interactively.
- The easiest way to keep track of your patches to your code is to use diff. E.g.:
diff -urNP foo bar > patchset_20071228.patch
- You can then commit the patchset like so:
patch -p0 --dry-run < patchset_20071228.patch # Test first, then really do it: patch -p0 < patchset_20071228.patch patch -p0 -R < patchset_20071228.patch # Apply diff in reverse
- Quilt — utility for managing a series of changes (i.e., patches) to the source code of any computer program
- Kompare (aka