From Christoph's Personal Wiki
GNU GRUB ("GRUB" for short) is a boot loader package from the GNU Project.
grub grub> find /boot/grub/stage1 (hd1,4) grub> root (hd1,4) grub> setup (hd1) grub> quit
Grub splash images
- Find gzipped, 640x480, 14 colour only, xpm images (like the ones here).
- Put the images in
- Rename the image you wish to use to '
- Make a link to
/boot/grub/splashimages/splash.xpm.gzand put it in
/boot/grub/menu.lstand below the 'Pretty colours' section add a third line as below:
# Pretty colours # color cyan/blue white/blue splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hd0,1 refers to hard drive 1 partition 2 where, for an example, a file system could be installed. You'll need to change those numbers if yours differs.)
- That's it. Restart to see the new eye candy. For more in depth explanations:
- GNU GRUB Website
- Official GNU GRUB manual
- GRUB development wiki
- Freshmeat project page
- GRUB 2 Home Page
- Super Grub Disk Cdrom or floppy used for restoring grub to the mbr and much more.
- wikipedia:GNU GRUB
- Advanced Linux Debugging using a Bootloader (GRUB) — by AskApache