List of GNU packages
The GNU Project is a free software project.
see: wikipedia: GNU Project for more information.
List of GNU packages
This is an incomplete list of notable software packages developed for or maintained by the Free Software Foundation for GNU, a free Unix-compatible operating system. Many of these software packages are today included as part of typical GNU/Linux distributions.
|Name||Description||Provides||Version 1||Date 1|
|Bash||GNU's UNIX compatible shell||bash||3.2||11-10-2006|
|coreutils||Base commands|| fileutils: chgrp, chown, chmod, cp, dd, df, dir, du, ln, ls, mkdir, mkfifo, mknod, mv, rm etc.
|diffutils||contains utilies to compare files||diff, cmp, diff3, sdiff||2.8.1||06-4-2002|
|findutils||contains search utilities||find, locate, xargs||4.2.28||05-8-2006|
|fontutils||font management utilities||n/a||0.7||02-4-2002|
|grep||search for strings in files||grep||2.5.1a||19-11-2004|
|groff||document processing system (groff)||groff||1.19.2||4-9-2005|
|GRUB 2||GRand Unified Bootloader||grub||1.94||04-6-2006|
|gzip||compression program (gzip)||gzip||1.2.4a||05-9-1999|
|hurd||a microkernel-based set of servers that perform the same function as a UNIX kernel||n/a||0.2?||12-6-1997|
|inetutils||useful utils for networking||ftp, telnet, rsh, rlogin, tftp||1.4.2||23-12-2002|
|plotutils||useful utils for plotting to different devices||graph, libplot, libplotter||2.5||07-05-2006|
|readline||useful library for reading command lines||readline||5.1_p4||09-12-2005, 16-3-2006|
|screen||a terminal multiplexer||screen||4.0.2||27-1-2004|
|tar||Archiver able to creates and handles file archives in various formats||tar||1.16||21-10-2006|
|texinfo||documentation system for producing online and printed manuals||n/a||4.8a||26-9-2006|
|time||program to determine the duration of execution of a particular command||time||1.7||11-7-1996|
- Stable versions. Note that some distros (e.g Gentoo) use some development versions in case the stable versions are a bit old.
- Note that GRUB does not have a stable version, since the program itself is unstable, although many distros use it as default.
- GNU build system - contains autoconf, autogen, and automake
- Gnulib - portability library designed for use with the GNU build system
- GNU Binutils - contains the GNU assembler (as) and the GNU linker (ld)
- GNU make - the Make program for GNU
- GNU Compiler Collection - optimizing compiler for many programming languages, including C, C++, Fortran, Ada, and Java.
- GNU Debugger - an advanced debugger (gdb)
- GNU C Library (glibc) - POSIX compliant C library for GNU/Hurd and GNU/Linux
- GNU pth - software threads for POSIX-compatible operating systems.
- GNU libtool - Shared library support
- GNU m4 - macro processor
- GNU Gettext - internationalization library
- DotGNU - replacement for Microsoft .NET
- GNU Classpath - libraries for Java
- GNU bison - parser generator intended to replace yacc
- GNU Guile - embeddable Scheme interpreter
- BFD - object file library
- GNU MDK - a development kit for programming in MIX
- GNU indent - a program to indent C and C++ source code.
- GNU FriBidi - a library that implements Unicode's Bidirectional Algorithm
- MIT/GNU Scheme - interpreter, compiler and library for the Scheme programming language developed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- SmartEiffel - the GNU Eiffel compiler
- GNU Smalltalk - ANSI Smalltalk-98 implementation (interpreter and class library).
- CLISP - ANSI Common Lisp implementation (compiler, debugger, and interpreter)
- GNU Common Lisp - an implementation of Common Lisp
- GIMP - the GNU Image Manipulation Program is a bitmap image editor that rivals Photoshop
- GTK+ - the GIMP Toolkit, contains the GTK+, GDK, and GLib set of libraries (used by the GIMP and GNOME)
- GNOME - the GNU Network Object Model Environment, the official GNU Desktop
- GNUstep - implementation of the OpenStep libraries and development tools for graphical applications
Applications and utilities
- GNU Alexandria - package of the GNU system that makes use of GNU Bayonne to provide a means to deliver access to electronic content and services for the blind over the public telephone network from a GNU/Linux server
- GNU Anubis - outgoing mail processor that sits between the MUA (Mail User Agent) and the MTA (Mail Transport Agent)
- GNU Aspell - spell checker designed to eventually replace Ispell
- GNU Accounting Utils - set of utilities providing statistics on users and processes for GNU/Linux (last, ac, accton, lastcomm, sa, dump-utmp, dump-acct)
- GNU Bayonne - Multi-line telephony services
- GNU Emacs - the Emacs editor of the GNU operating system
- GNU Parted - Partitioning program
- GNU Privacy Guard - PGP encryption replacement
- GNU wget - advanced file retrieval from networks and the Internet
- GNUnet - decentralized, peer-to-peer communication network designed to be resistant to censorship
- GNU Robots - game for computer programmers
- GnuTLS - TLS replacement protocol
- GNU Typist Universal (multi-lingual) typing tutor
- GNU Octave - a program for numerical computations similar to MATLAB
- GSL - the GNU Scientific Library
- GMP - arbitrary precision numerical calculation programming library
- Maxima - a computer algebra system
- PSPP - a Free version of SPSS, a program for statistical analysis.
- GDL - GNU data language, compatible with IDL
- GNU Miscfiles - several data files including standard airport, country, and language codes
- GNU Chess
- GNU Go
- GnowSys - a kernel for semantic computing (a distributed agent oriented knowledge base.)
- Gnucap - the GNU Circuit Analysis Package
- Gnu Panorama - 3D Framework, ray tracing
- Gnu Maverik - Virtual Reality microkernel